I always thank my God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus. For in him you have been enriched in every way—with all kinds of speech and with all knowledge—
1 Corinthians 1:4-5 (NIV)
Praises and Thanks
Spending Thanksgiving outside of the States is a strange feeling, and this year I definitely craved some traditional holiday food and precious time with my family. That being said, I have one big thing to be thankful to God for this month…
In the Volcano Center I put on a three-week English workshop with eight students that showed the most interest and promise throughout the year-long English course. They worked really hard and I challenged them to memorize one-sentence Bible stories in English! Each student passed to the front of the class and recited all ten in front of their peers, something they wouldn’t have dreamed of doing at the beginning of the year. It brought me so much joy to see their willingness to learn! The verse I shared above is exactly how I feel towards these students and the rest of our children at the Centers. I praise Him for giving them knowledge and the ability to learn speech–including English!
To see the video we made of the class reciting their sentences, click HERE.
I know that in this time of year, many of you may be looking for opportunities to give above and beyond the normal to help expand God’s Kingdom. The Lord has been more than faithful in His provision, and I am trusting He will fill some current financial needs. My goal is to raise about $290 in monthly giving in the coming weeks to account for those needs, which include:
- $110 in monthly giving to reach 100% of my recurring support goal
- An estimated $30 in monthly giving to account for the rise in insurance at the beginning of 2018
- I already have the funds to purchase a car at the beginning of next year (PRAISE!), but I will need to increase my recurring support goal by about $150 in monthly giving to account for ongoing costs (car, insurance, maintenance, etc.). I have seen an increasing amount of opportunities to serve our ministry better with a vehicle, whether it be with mission teams, transportation to our Centers, etc.
As this year comes to a close, if you find yourself in a place to give an extra financial gift, I would be so thankful. As always, any questions you may have feel free to contact me by email/Facebook. Here is my giving link: reliant.org/ali.howard. Just select “Give Now” to create an account (or update your giving options if you are a current supporter).
Praying that you and your family enjoy a restful and joyful holiday season in the month to come. Thank you for your continued support and encouragement!
- The public school system in El Salvador takes their “summer” break in November-January, and other than our Christmas parties, our Centers are closed in December and part of January to give our staff rest and plan for the coming year. Please pray for our children during this time, that their needs would be filled and that they would retain all the knowledge they gained in 2017. Also, pray for our staff and that they would come back refreshed in 2018!
- I will be home in Ohio for a few weeks over the holidays! It’s been six months since my last trip in the States, so please pray for safety and some joyful time with family and friends.
- As 2017 comes to a close, our team is looking forward to what God is asking us to do in 2018. Please pray for effective planning, goal setting and prayer-filled time thanking Him for this year and asking boldly for Him to move mountains in 2018.